Sunday, May 10, 2009

J.J. Abrahm's Gives "Star Trek" A Rebirth

There are some things I'm not willing to wait for on DVD.

I am one of those who loved Star Trek in the past and fell away for the franchise. The last time I can remember being excited about the voyages of the Enterprise was Star Trek:First Contact. And that was a bit of a renewal, as I had been disappointed by The Undiscovered Country and Generations. I enjoyed them, but they didn't thrill me.

And I completely lost touch with television. Of course, a large part of that is not that I lost touch with Star Trek on television, but that I lost touch with television. To this day, I rarely watch TV. Sports, news, the history channel and Dollhouse is about it. So Voyager and Enterprise never got a real shot.

But I have to agree that Star Trek needed a reboot.

The movie I saw yesterday achieved it. Wonderfully so. It appeals to young and old, not only in years of life but in years of fandom. Yeah, they changed some stuff. Yes, they gave themselves an "out" to go against previous canon. Thankfully. I mean, when more time is put into fact-checking the script against previous episodes than into actually writing it, you have a problem. As a writer, I would despise that kind of oversight. No, you can't say that, that contradicts something Sisko said about Data recalling a line in the history books about Kirk. Talk about a buzz kill to creativity.

This movie is exciting. It maintains Rodenberry's original message, that we can survive and become a space-faring race, that diversity is a positive and that our humanity is why we will succeed, not how we will fail.

And it works not just as Star Trek, but as a movie. It is worth the money and it will rock your afternoon or evening.

I'll give a more detailed review in a couple weeks, so I can talk spoilers after those who want to see it have done so. But for now, let me just say that J.J. Abrahms did it right. Go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment