Friday, October 1, 2010

The Paper Raincoat....Live!

Just got back from a small venue on Pittsburgh's south side where we had the extreme pleasure of experiencing sets from The Paper Raincoat and Vienna Teng. Vienna was wonderful, of course... and Alex did double duty, playing with both acts. But this particular review is about The Paper Raincoat.

I wrote about this band's music before and my high opinion was only strengthened by seeing them live (something that is not always the case.) However, what I didn't necessarily expect and most enjoyed was how much the band themselves enjoyed the show.

There is an inescapable quality to live music... it captures what is going on inside and projects it. I've seen bands going through the motions and felt it, been at shows where I knew a band was on the verge of breaking up, been aware when bands were tired or bored....I'm not going to be so arrogant as to say I always know such things; there is such a thing as professionalism and having self-control and I am sure there are artists capable of controlling these things the way some control their instruments.

I would be shocked to discover that this band wasn't enjoying this show as much as the audience.

This small crowd was an almost ideal mix for this opening act: a few who knew them well, more who knew only Alex and a fair portion there for the headliner. But by two songs into the all-too-short performance, they had a roomful of fans.

They started with Brooklyn Blurs (the song that caught my attention on the album with it's Beatle tribute) and finished with the absolutely perfect-for-this-purpose Rewind. In between, they got people involved, got hands clapping and feet stomping, fixed an issue with Alex's guitar, pulled a guest tambourine player out of the audience and generally pleased all in attendance. I can't recommend them highly enough.

The Paper Raincoat will be appearing on NPR and at West Virgina University this Sunday, Oct. 3rd. Do everything you can to either make it to the show or listen to it on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment