Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Trio Of Modern Comedy Classics

With all the seriousness in the world, what with torture memos and tax day, we have been watching things that take an edge off. Recent choices have included three movies that have created plenty of laughs and often are quoted on Facebook pages and Myspace.

Most of you will have seen at least one of them...if not all three.

American Pie
The earliest of the three chronologically, but the most recent of our viewings. This is one of those movies that I can watch casually and find some enjoyment every time. Poor Jason Biggs. For the rest of his life people will look and him and think about warm apple pie. But the part that generated the most laughs for her were the scene with Nadia and the pay-off scene with Michelle. One of my favorite things about all three AP movies is that the underlying message is positive. The guys learn things and in the end the good guys win. Which is almost a necessary thing for these types of comedies.

Anchorman

The least favorite of the three for my girlfriend and for me, although it did score some laughs with Jack Black's appearance and some of the male bonding experiences. Anchorman scores on occasion and is a special movie for Will Ferrel's worshipers. I like Will okay, but I don't love him as much as many do. It's fun, but not something I would call a classic. Perhaps some of that is influenced by my knowledge that no sportscaster in San Diego history has worn a cowboy hat.

The 40 Year Old Virgin
This is right up there with the AP movies for me and based on my observations of her reactions, The Girlfriend's favorite. With good reason. It's well-written and there is a complete lack of fear in all of the major players. The waxing scene has already acquired a type of legendary status. The movie confirmed Steve Carell as a star, put Seth Rogen on that path and made Judd Apatow one of the most sought-after directors in Hollywood. I think this one does deserve the title of "modern classic."

3 comments:

  1. The only one of these I've seen was the 40 year old virgin. Have to say...maybe my funny bone is broken. I may have to give it another try someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing about humor is that it is necessarily individual... So to say your "funny bone is broken" is not something I give as much credence to... some of the jokes just didn't click for you. I know that I often hear things from others that they thought were hilarious and make me shrug my shoulders.

    Another thing about comedy... Laughter feeds off contagion. Comedy is always better watched with friends. They laugh and you laugh at their laughter. That is why movies always seem funnier in the theater and comics funnier in the club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is true. Maybe I will have to find someone who can appreciate good comedy and watch with him. Could just be fun. Thanks Will. I appreciate what you had to say. It's true, humor is somewhat individual. I have a caustic sense of humor most of the time, so maybe that's part of it for me. And yes, I do tend to laugh at other people's laughter often. Can't help it.

    Thanks again Will.

    ReplyDelete